I convinced the wife to allow me to allow me to purchase Gloomhaven from our local game store! I am hoping to have her and our other couple to play this for our game night, although this may be a bit more complex then they may like, plus the wife is really bloodthirsty and competitive. If she cannot beat the other players in the game then she is not really interested in playing it. Getting her interested and looking forward to play is going to be key in order to have this group be willing to try and enjoy it! Wish me luck! If our Wednesday night couples gaming night group will not play it, then my long time gaming night with the guys will definitely want to play.
What is Gloomhaven?
So, exactly what is Gloomhaven? Here is a descriptive quote from Reddit:
Gloomhaven is a cooperative game of tactical combat, battling monsters and advancing a player’s own individual goals in a persistent and changing world that is ideally played over many game sessions. In the process players will enhance their abilities with experience and loot, discover new locations to explore and plunder, and expand an ever-branching story fueled by the decisions they make.
Gloomhaven is a cooperative tactical tabletop legacy RPG board game that ran through its funding through Kickstarter.Â What does that jumble of words all mean?
- Cooperative –Â players work together towards common goals
- Tactical – small number of individuals playing against a similarly small number of opponents on a map
- Board Game – you all know what a board game is
- TabletopÂ – a game you play on a table
- RPGÂ – role playing game – you have characters with special abilities who will gain levels and abilities as you progress through the game
- Legacy –Â what happens in one session you play will affect the next games you play in a given campaign. If you fail a scenario there may be negative or positive repercussions for your future game. A string of failed scenarios can really make your lives difficult.
I missed the kickstarter when it happened and have heard nothing but good news and reviews from it since then, so I really really wanted it. Here is the latest Kickstarter for Gloomhaven’s Second PrintingÂ if you want to find out more about it.
Here are some videos to get you started if you are curious:
- How to Play Gloomhaven (Roll For Crit) – rules overview on turbo mode
- Gloomhaven Walkthrough of Scenario 1 (drew23555) – a walk through of the first scenario playing solo – not so lucky
GloomhavenÂ – How to Play Video
I am considering playing a game and writing a narrative for it – The Gloomhaven Chronicles – with characters fleshed out using the Fate System which I mentioned in another post. We will see if I have the time or the ambition to do so!